Twitter Flickr Pinterest Instagram Tumblr Portfolio

Tuesday 20 July 2010

Les Fleurs Du Mal

The Flowers of Evil is one of my favourite books of poetry, and when I was drawing from flowers and plants the other day, it occurred to me that I should create some sort of project title to put the work into a collection. I'm terribly incoherent usually. I rush off to my next idea far too quickly, so I'm really trying to put effort into proper themes and to be more organised. So, because I usually input text into the organic looking drawings, I thought Les Fleurs Du Mal, would be a good title, as often the works mix 'pretty' looking things with overly romanticised or poetic text. Below, is where I've started, creating drawings and paintings to edit and turn into full images or patterns, I'm obsessive over patterns lately. Very therapeutic. The first text I've used is, 'I'm The Heaven You Haven't Tasted Yet.' This was a sentence in my diary, I tend to write down any sentence I like/hear/feel, and usually I note down who wrote it. I thought it might be Ted Hughes, but I can't go through the Birthday Letters collection in detail just to look for a sentence, then I googled it and couldn't find anything, and I can't remember if it's something I've written myself. So basically, I've started somewhere I can't even remember ;)

I'm thinking the next pictures should be based round The Smiths, 'Bigmouth Strikes Again' lyrics (a favourite song of mine.) Specifically, 'Oh ... sweetness, sweetness, I was only joking when I said, by rights you should be bludgeoned in your bed.' I think that's very reflective of 'The Flowers of Evil' in that the words are beautiful, and the picture will be, but whilst the picture might depict prettiness, the connotations are a little dark or evil. I'm not sure if that makes sense to anyone but me. I hope it does.



In light of recent, pretty heartbreaking events, and one of the most emotionally stressful weeks I've had in my entire twenty two years, I think the romantic but evil inspiration is quite fitting right now too.

No comments: